My Rides
Pictures from some bicycle rides

Home

Bikes

Equipment

Lehigh Gorge 6/06

Yough Trail 6/06

AT East 10/06

Pine Creek 3/07

D & R Canal 4/07

Yough start 7/07

DC to Pittsburgh June 2012

Bikes

I started commuting from my home in Shavertown, PA to Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, PA in the summer of 2005. I started with a 20-year-old mountain bike with smooth center tires.

(38K)
2004 Giant Cypress SX

In October 2005, I bought a hybrid bike (2005 Giant Cypress SX). After sustaining a flat tire on the Back Mountain Trail, I replaced the road tires with wider tires with more tread.

(109K)
2006 Dynamic RunAbout (Shaft Drive)

In 2006, I purchased a Dynamic Bicycles Runabout hybrid. With extensive modification (added a front disc brake and different rack), I am looking forward to commuting in the rain and snow without having to worry about chain maintenance. The bike is a shaft drive - chainless. It's a bit heavy, so I opted to have the "sport shaft" installed. That lowers the gear ratios and should help when I pedal uphill on the way home. I use this bike on the flat in the winter only.

(34K)
2008 Globe Sport Disc

In the spring of 2008, I bought a Specialized Globe Sport Disc. I bought it primarily for the dual disc brakes, which I thought I needed to handle the downhills on my commute in from Shavertown to Wilkes.

Roubaix 2013:
2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite

In November 2012, ordered a 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite carbon fiber road bike. Began road biking with the Around Town Bikes Saturday Morning Ride (SMR) group in the Spring of 2013.

Go to John Koch's home page or send him a message.