Laurie Frink designed part one and three of my practice routine specifically for me. Jon Crowley has made adjustments to the routine.
Buzzing Lips, Mouthpiece (with piano recording on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), Horn - C (half note)-G-(half note)-C (Whole Note)
Bend Study - G two octaves (patterns A, B, C, D)
Currently working on:
Handel - Trumpet Suite in D Major
Telemann - Concerto in D Major - Adagio
Bai Lin - #1, #2, #3, #4 - 88 first time and 176 second time
Noodle - quarter, eighth, and sixteenth
6 Notes - C-G (repeat)
Recovery - low F#'s (two)
Chord Pedals - in half notes G-E-C-G-E-C-G-E-(pedal) C in all 7 positions
Chromatic Scale - C to F# (above high C)
Harmonics - (quarter notes) to the 12th (F#)
This entire routine is practiced every night, with the exception of Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday of each week. On these nights, exercises are played until Bai Lin and in that order. This is Jon Crowley's idea from a lesson with him. This was done to free up time to practice more music.
Breaks are inserted throughout the routine--20 minutes practice, followed by 10 minutes rest. A five minute break is inserted before going on to practice music, as suggested by Jon Crowley.
- Arpeggios - (based on a jazz manual from BSU) F (F-A-C-F-C-A-F-C-A-F-C-A-F) hold the F at the end of each pattern; F-sharp continue with the same pattern on G and A-flat. On A play (A-C#-E-A); On B-flat play (B-flat, D, F, B-flat); On B play (B-D#-F#-B); On Double C (C-E-G-C-C)
Recovery - low F#'s (two)
Big Band Lead Trumpet Charts - Buddy Rich, Duke Ellington, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Charles Mingus, Stan Kenton
Maynard Ferguson's The "Medley"
Classical solos (see above in Part II for the listing)
Bebop heads-Charlie Parker
As suggested by Jon Crowley, a classical solo will be practiced on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday after the routine. Lead trumpet will be practiced on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday after the routine. Either lead trumpet or a classical solo will be practiced on Sunday after the routine.
Laurie Frink designed this routine specifically for me to be played before a rehearsal or a performance.
Clarke Technical Studies - Second Study - Circle of Fourths
When I studied with Laurie Frink on a consistent basis for two years, this was my routine.
Laurie Frink designed parts one and two of my practice routine specifically for me. John McNeil designed part four of my practice routine.
- High Notes - Intervals/Chords
- Big Band Lead Charts - Benny Goodman, Buddy Rich,
Duke Ellington, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, Glenn Miller,
Count Basie, Charles Mingus, Stan Kenton
- Jim Snidero's Jazz Conceptions Etudes
- Classical Concertos/Sonatas (on rotating basis)- Bohme: Concerto in F Minor (first movement), Kent Kennan: Sonata For Trumpet And Piano (first movement), J.G.B. Neruda: Concerto in E-flat (first movement), and Hummel: Concerto in E-flat (first movement)
- Ear Training
- Memorizing Solos
- Clarke Technical Studies
- John McNeil's The Art of Jazz Trumpet
- Bugs Bower's Rhythms Complete
- Charlier Etudes
- Chase Sanborn's Jazz Tactics - reading material
- Charlie Parker: Charlie Parker Omnibook - B-flat
Comment On This Page
This Page was last update: Monday, November 2, 2015 at 6:01:48 PM
This page was originally posted: 4/14/04; 8:41:46 PM.
Copyright 2018 Janell Carter
This site is using the Blue Comet 1.1 theme.